Soren Harward via plug on 30 Jan 2023 05:35:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My Holy Quest for a WYSIWYG HTML Word Processor

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 3:29 PM JP Vossen via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> We've drifted to something like "how to write 'simple' plain text
> and render it into complicated formats like HTML or PDF," which
> omits the WYSIWYG part, renders the choice of editor moot, and
> is focusing more on process and tool-chain.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 7:15 AM Rich Freeman via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> I get what you're saying.  However, it is a bit of a trope on FOSS
> lists that somebody asks how to do A, and gets 35 replies that don't
> explain how to do A.

That's not just a FOSS trope. That's an
every-moderately-technical-subject trope (viz: StackExchange and
Reddit). And I totally agree it's a highly desirable feature, not a
bug, of our communities.

When I was new to Linux as a teenager, the 35 other replies didn't
just give me the answer, but helped me understand the parameter space
that the answer existed in. They also helped me understand whether
"how do I do A?" is even the question I wanted to be asking in the
first place — it usually wasn't.

And now that so many of these Q&A discussions happen in
publicly-accessible indexed web pages, when I search for "how do I do
A1?" and get a page on "how do I do A2?", the 35 variations help me
figure out how to adapt A2 to A1.

--
Soren Harward