Re: Light (hdd too) Distro for VirtualBox

I've dipped my toe in the Linux pool off/on over the years, but I never really grok'd the whole partitioning thing. So, TYVM for this.

As for some "clarity" on the situation, here are my Linux "projects" that I'm hoping to keep in separate threads.

  1. My Linux VM's are running on top of Win10 on a laptop.
    • my main go to VM is Linux Mint 19 that recently hiccupped. It's there, but in infinite login loop.
    • my fallback Ubuntu 18.04 VM's were hard set at 10GB and expanding the max hdd size is more work than I'm willing to take on ATM. But I did free 2.3GB last night.
  2. Considering upgrading to an SSD and switching to Linux. (which the above will definitely help with)
  3. An Ubuntu Server 20.04 native install and "kubuntu-desktop" on top of it on an HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF. AMD A4-7300B w/ 8GB of RAM and recently installed 2TB hdd.
  4. Oh and I did a similar install ( Ubuntu Server 20.04 + "kubuntu-desktop" on an HP Stream. ).
So, yeah, this thread is more about taking care of point #1, but all help appreciated!

Also, for future noobs finding this thread ( and future me too ) I misspoke on 2 topics:
  1. Win8 was the OS that erased my Grub boot menu. Older laptop that I partitioned the hdd and dual booted.
  2. VirtualBox allows setting up a dynamic or static sized hdd. When setting up with dynamic allocation, one still states the max size the drive can grow to be. The fs will grow as needed, but not past this limit. In the case of my Mint 19, I gave it a max size of 100GB and it grew to 52GB. Well, the 52GB is the size that Windows reports the .vdi file to be. "df -h" reports I have 67GB free. So here in lies a little (potential) confusion. One can "clean" up a bit, but the space isn't returned to the host OS only the guest. IOW, the .vdi file never shrinks.
peace & 42