Re: Light (hdd too) Distro for VirtualBox

@ trl

I'm probably repeating, but most of my Linux adventures mentioned in this thread are running (or semi-running?) on VirtualBox on a Win10 host.

On Thursday, October 1, 2020, 01:08:53 PM PDT, trl (Thomas) wrote:

(well, snippets at the very least)

> I normally just do
/boot for the EFI partition
And
/ For the rest

I'm mainly running Linux in VMs, but I do have the Ubuntu Server 20.04 (w/ kubuntu-desktop) installed natively, but as was alluded to earlier in the thread, I just accepted the default settings...

... But sometimes I'll just symlink downloads or videos or photos to the HDD ...

I've heard of simlinks and might have actually made 1 or 2 a few years ago. This is something I should focus on learning. Somewhat related, I just realized/learned that VirtualBox does allow attaching more than one .vdi file. So, it looks like mounting extra volumes (?) is possible. More info when I have it.

I like the idea of LVM but have not tried it yet

I was forced to figure some of it out. Alas, working thru it once wasn't enough to remember everything. Ubuntu Server 20.04 "updated while installing" (?) suggested LVM as default. It only allocated 200GB of a 2TB hdd. I'll share more of that adventure -- of attempting to setup the Server -- in another thread shortly.

Also I have not tried to share a /home between two distro. How does that work? ...

*bump* This interests me too. ( But perhaps I'm just naïve and symlink-ing my edu/development folders would be sufficient. ) Anybody knowledgeable about sharing /home?

I run Arch ...

Good to know! I may try ArchBang or similar, but given my current speed in these matters, you are safe... for now. ;o)

... I will try to remember to search the forum before asking oft repeated Q's.

peace & 42