Eric Allan Lucas on Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:51:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] politics/open source (was: T-Shirts)

<warning tone=serious mode=rant>

MaD dUCK wrote:

<cut>

> anyway, without attempting to get this into a political discussion,

You already did.  You not only misinterpreted the thread and
injected a complete political discussion, you throw in your supoort
for Karl Marx.  What does HE have to do with Linux?????

I don't even want to go there.

> what does the declaration of independence have to do with open source?

What does a cabbie have to do with Open Source?
Nothing.

It has to do with NEW YORK.

Tux with the soft pretzel, Tux with the kite, or Tux with the signers
of the Declaration of Independence

These relate to PHILADELPHIA,
Not carbohydrates, powerful static discharges, OR POLITICS.

Ask someone in Tennessee what they think of when they hear
"Philadelphia".
After crime, political corruption, and confiscatory wage taxes, they
think
of soft pretzels, cheeze steaks, kites in lightning storms, and, yes,
the signing of the Declaration Of Independence.  Pretzels might actually
come ahead of the confiscatory wage taxes - shows the value of a good
education and a "free press" :-D

> you know, time magazine and the new york times published a study last
> year in which something between 85% and 95% of all low-income
> american citizens firmly asserted that america is the place where they
> can do whatever they wish to. maybe it was newsweek, i will research
> it if you guys doubt, but all i remember is that reading the stats, i
> was simply shocked and humored all at once. especially america isn't
> the kind of system which relates to open source or the fundamental
> ideas of communism.

What does this have to do with T-shirts?  Nothing.
What does this have to do with politics?  Everything.

I joined PLUG and this list to be involved in Linux technology and
advocacy.
Not to bash Microsoft.
Not to bash America.
Not to bash Capitalism.
Not to sing the praises of Karl Marx.

     Technology.
        Advocacy.
           Focus.

Please, let's clean this thread up.
I've got to go take a shower.

<remainder cut>
</warning>
--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

      When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for
one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them
with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the
separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's
God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires
that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
    Read the full document at:
http://www.nara.gov/exhall/charters/declaration/decmain.html