Bill Jonas on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:30:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Re: DELIVERY FAILURE: No route found to server MAIL104A/URSCorp from server SMTP101/URSCORP. Check Server and Connection documents in Name & Address Book.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 02:53:36PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Huh?
>
> Does that actually relate to this thread?

Oops.

I just checked the archives and the message I responded to wasn't there.

Short story:  I saw a bounce message that I thought had been sent to the
list, took the appropriate action, and notified the list of the action
that I took.  I did this quickly so that more bounce message wouldn't
make it to the list.  Turns out I was mistaken as to the recipient and
nobody except plug-admin actually saw it.

Longer story:  Someone's mail bounced, and I saw it in my PLUG mailbox.
Naturally, I assumed that the MTA had bounced the mail to the list,
which irritated me.  So I unsubscribed the only address subscribed from
the domain in question and notified the list.

I believe I figured out what happened, though.  Some interesting
characteristics about that mail was how various headers were set.  The
To: was set to plug-admin, the Reply-to: was set to the list, there were
two From: lines (one listing you, the other listing the mailer-daemon),
etc.  (There were actually two of the bounce messages that I saw in my
PLUG mailbox, one in response to your message and the other in response
to another message.)

I think that the MTA was broken, but not in the way I first thought.
Apparently, the damn thing took the headers from the mail that it
bounced and added a couple of its own, and maybe changed one or two
others.  That would explain why I saw it in my PLUG mailbox (since I
filter on X-BeenThere) and why PLUG didn't see it, as well as other
oddities about the message.  Of course, I should have realized that
Mailman would have caught the mailer-daemon's message and held it for
approval.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion.  I was in a rush so that list members
wouldn't get 20 bounce messages sent to them.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin