Kevin Brosius on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:30:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:45:11AM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > Yes, this is a problem.  I was exchanging some mail with the cvsup
> > maintainer recently about the possibility of a C/C++ port, but it's a
> > very large task (40,000+ lines of code).
>
> Huh. I'd rather just see a properly portable implementation of the
> Modula-3 compiler. It sounds like the language is pretty useful.

Yeah, that seems to be the challenge.  The main cvsup maintainer at
http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/ has NetBSD/ix86 binaries
plus source.  But Modula-3 is a different story, as you found.

> > How will you address loss of traffic? If it's a private network,
> > I'd guess you'll be better off, but will you allow clients some
> > method of updating when they go offline for some period of time
> > and miss messages?
>
> Right now I'm trusting INN to take care of that kind of thing. If a
> message is queued and the transport dies, then the history on the
> remote INN host will not sync with the history on the sending
> server, and they'll resolve this by transfering the message after
> the feed is reestablished. At least, that's how I understand this.
> I doubt it's perfect, but even if you do end up with a partial
> message, then the processing process on the receiving end will
> either error out in parsing the post or if, miraculously, it
> doesn't, then the md5 sums won't match up and it will request a
> full post of the ,v file in question.
>
> This could mean that messages get to the anoncvs servers out of
> order, but that's no big deal and is precisely the reason I'm
> tagging posts with sequence numbers. (If you get a higher sequence
> number than you want, you wait a spell for the right sequence
> number, then either bitch loudly to the operator or to the posting
> server on a separate newsgroup.)

Sounds reasonable.

--
Kevin Brosius