Mike Leone on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:52:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading the Libranet

> Just type X and start the server. It'll take the guess work out of a lot of stuff. Once X starts up, switch to a vc, set DISPLAY
>and launch your window manager.

But that won't help now, since I've reformatted and gone back to the default potato-based distro. X on THAT works fine. It's
only when I upgraded to testing that it crapped out.

> Wouldn't it be funny if everything was fine, but there was no default window manager set? X would start up, then promptly exit.....

Hilarious :-)

I wonder if that's what it was ... As I said, there were no error messages in the X log ...

Q: when you use gdm, and you see the login screen properly, does that mean that X itself is working fine?
I could try and login via gdm, but it would just bounce me back to the gdm screen. That's when I turned off gdm,
and tried it via startx. If it was no window manager, but X itself was fine, wouldn't the symptoms have been the same?

For next time .... where is the window manager setting for X, in a Debian based distro?