Mental on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:07:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading the Libranet

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 11:51, Mike Leone wrote:
> > Just type X and start the server. It'll take the guess work out of a lot of stuff. Once X starts up, switch to a vc, set DISPLAY
> >and launch your window manager.
>
> But that won't help now, since I've reformatted and gone back to the default potato-based distro. X on THAT works fine. It's
> only when I upgraded to testing that it crapped out.
>
> > Wouldn't it be funny if everything was fine, but there was no default window manager set? X would start up, then promptly exit.....
>
> Hilarious :-)
>
> I wonder if that's what it was ... As I said, there were no error messages in the X log ...
>
> Q: when you use gdm, and you see the login screen properly, does that mean that X itself is working fine?

If GDM works, then X is fine. Your problem lies elsewhere. Mentioning
this would have saved a significant amount of time :)

> I could try and login via gdm, but it would just bounce me back to the gdm screen. That's when I turned off gdm,
> and tried it via startx. If it was no window manager, but X itself was fine, wouldn't the symptoms have been the same?

The symptoms were the same. You didnt have a window manager set, X
exited, gdm ( which DID have a working configuration) started backup.

> For next time .... where is the window manager setting for X, in a Debian based distro?

No idea. I dont use it. I do everything the same way on openbsd, and all
linux distros. I wrote a .xsession and use that.

For startx you need a .xinitrc. You had X configured fine, you just
didnt tell it to start a window manager, so it didnt.

Live and learn...

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that
he just whipped out a quarter?
--Steven Wright

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc