gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:50:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] reading old jpeg format?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:09:26PM -0400, Sean Finney wrote:
> or for debian users, apt-get install macutils (of course)

Not having a Debian system (though I'm inches from making the next
install at work here Debian considering how irritating RedHat is
during use, even if they are pretty hands-off for installs, which
can be nice, but the runtime stuff wastes more of my time, most
recently their excessive no-relay--you have to change about three
things just get a host to *receive* email--setup for sendmail), I
can't verify these things without doing some web page digging, and
I'm not one to do more than a cursory glance at your homework for
you. ;^>

The URL came from pkgsrc/archivers/macutils, fwiw.

> i half-heartedly tried macunpack on the file, with no luck
> though.

Yeah, well, MacBinary is a propietary format, so I'm not shocked.
Jeff, I'm sure I've got a copy of MacBinary II (at least, if not III)
stashed on a CD-R. Let me know if you want it.

> why it isn't in 'non-free' (where there are other programs of similar
> restrictions), i have no idea...

Plausibly the same reason you've got nothing that handles mp3. (xv
may speak formats, for which they've bought licenses and so are
included as part of the in-program code, for which readers/encoders
can not be freely distributed.)

In any case, I only use xv(1) out of habit, it's actually pretty
irritating in that it doesn't jive with my window manager's (vtwm)
concept of virtual window space, shoving all its screens at a
literal offset rather than a virtual one. (It's far from alone in
this; XMMS does it too, but I've been too lazy to go fix it.) xv(1)
behaves just fine with virtual window managers that do their virtual
windowing the Other[1] way (Window Maker--nee AfterStep, fvwm*,
tvtwm--which I'd use only but I've gotten really used to some
features vtwm has but tvtwm hasn't and am willing to put up with or
eventually get around to fixing vtwm's bugs).

Does Debian carry xloadimage? That includes xview, which works
pretty well (though it doesn't have all of xv's features) and will
happily open Jeff's file... in completely the wrong way, as it
thinks the image is just a bunch of black & white static. But it
doesn't whine at all:

humbug:~% xview image.bin
image.bin is a 576x720 MacPaint image
  Default gamma is arbitrary for bitmap
  Using DirectColor visual
  Building XImage...done

Did it even get the dimensions right, Jeff?

> however, here are two alternative image viewers (and their debian packages):
>
> xview (xloadimage)
> xzgv (xzgv)

Aha, yes, you do. I've never used xzgv. How is it? Is it related to
gv, the Postscript (and PDF?) viewer?

> the latest and greatest version of xine works for some quicktime formats (but
> not all, and perhaps to differing extents).  i have a digital camera that
> records movies in .mov format (why that and not mpeg, who knows... probably
> space) and i was happy to discover that xine works with them.

Yeah, Xine recently got permission to use the first version of the
Sorenson codec, now that Apple's pushing a much later one (third
maybe? not sure). It should deal with old-style .movs just fine (but
you'll have to find out for yourself, I don't even have it installed
anywhere, much less actually use it).

[1] I forget where I read the details of the distinction between the
way vtwm does virtualization and the way everyone else does. I don't
think either is more Right, but it's possible that vtwm's way is
Deprecated (I hope not, since the functionality's not the same). I
*think* (but don't quote me on this) that fvwm2 does things *both*
ways, which is why you can scroll within a workspace the same way
that vtwm does, but can also switch workspaces, the same way you can
in Window Maker, Enlightenment, so forth. I think that, xv(1) will not
cooperate with the former type of virtualization, even under fvwm*,
but I haven't tested that.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net