gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:41:02 -0500

Re: Speakeasy - Re: [PLUG] Verizon Business DSL

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:19:46PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> I read that they had run out of the game consoles, so didn't push on
> that (and don't play many games myself.)  Although I signed up for the
> gamer, rather than sysadmin package, as I didn't have much interest in
> the rpm service with sysadmin.  Gamer comes with a game update download
> service of some kind, which I may not use either.

Hrm. I got in before these goony-named packages. They all look
exactly the same except for trappings to me. Oh well, whatever.

(I wouldn't use any of those benefits. RPMs faster? Gee, swell, that
does *me* a lot of good, running NetBSD, NeXTStep, Irix... And
faster access to game servers? What, you mean like netris?)

Anyway, I've said, till I'm pretty much sick of saying it, that I'm
quite happy with Speakeasy, but would plausibly be happy also with
DCANet. In fact, I've convinced a friend to get DCANet service
around here (in Swarthmore) recently, so I may have something
concrete to say about them the next time this question comes up
(which it seems to every two months... gee, sure would be nice if we
had current archives, wouldn't it? ;^>). The fact that they hand you
a /29 is pretty neat.

> Nice thing, they already setup reverse dns on the line.  Took about 48
> hours from online request to completion.

That's a longer turnaround than it used to be. I had mine within a
couple of hours, but that all went through about a year and a half
ago.

I'm about to move (across a parking lot, but to a different phone
NID, so there'll have to be a new Verizon install, then Covad
hookup), and switch over to 768/768 SDSL. I've only spoken with
Speakeasy on the "Okay, what do I need to do to muscle Verizon into
doing the right thing," front so far, but I'll be glad to let folks
know how it goes, if you're curious.

Since I can keep my old line up via a wireless link to the new
apartment, I should be near zero downtime, provided that Verizon
doesn't break something. Hopefully enough of it's out of their hands
that that won't be possible...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net