Stephen Gran on Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:53:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] CDROM making me crazy

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:01:06PM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> Thanks to all of your suggestions we've figured it out... sort
> of.
>
> When the ATAPI tape drive was in there the system loaded the
> ide-scsi module and did not load the cdrom module.
>
> Later, for some unknown reason, the cdrom would not switch back
> to /dev/hdc.  We insmod cdrom and we can see it.  If we
> insmod ide-tape then we can see the tape on /dev/ht0 and /dev/nht0.
>
> We're going to reboot and try to access the tape AND the CDROM
> on the scsi devices... checking dmesg to see where the kernel
> put them.
>
> I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again.
>
> Eric

ide-scsi is picking up the cdrom drive as well as the tape drive.  If
you like, you can keep going with this behavior (unnecessary, but not
harmful), and just mount the cd from /dev/scd0.

If you want the cd to function as a regular ide device, you have to use
tell ide-scsi to ignore /dev/hdc (syntax depends on whether it's a
loadable module or built in to the kernel).

Let us know how you're doing.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A diplomat's life consists of three     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | things: protocol, Geritol, and alcohol. |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- Adlai Stevenson                      |