William H. Magill on 4 Sep 2004 20:16:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] PLUG meeting??

On 03 Sep, 2004, at 21:46, Michael C. Toren wrote:
* You might want to mention that you need to physically leave 30th
  St. Station and walk across the street to catch the trolleys.

* While I also call them "trolleys", Septa refers to the lines that
  run from 30th St. to USP either "subway-surface lines" or "the green
  line".  I don't believe you can find the word "trolley" printed
  anywhere inside either of the Septa stations at 30th St.[1]

If someone who is more familiar with SEPTA could provide a diff of language that makes more sense, that'd be great. The language that's there now is left over from whomever first provided it, when we first started meeting at USP.

SEPTA uses the terminology somewhat interchangeably.

For example, on their web site you need to refer to the "Subway and Trolley" schedules.
But there you will find references to the Market-Frankford Line, and Route 10, 11, 13, 34, 36, etc.

However, on the Maps page you will find the terms Market-Frankford Line and Subway Surface Lines.

The Subway-Surface map shows all of the Trolley routes in Green.
http://www.septa.org/maps/subway_surface.html

The Market-Frankford Elevated Line (known affectionately as the EL or El) is referred to as the "Blue Line" on their maps.
http://www.septa.org/maps/market_frankford.html

Note that on both maps, the various other lines are also color coded.

At 30th Street, the sineage used to point to the Subway Surface lines... but I haven't been there since the new station renovations were completed. I would assume that they are now referring to the "Green Line," since that is what the "electronic signboards" have been referring to for the past several years. Generally speaking, SEPTA has also been color coding the stations so that the "Green Line" stations are actually surrounded by Green paint.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org