Brett Harris on 27 Apr 2006 20:27:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Summer IT Internship

jimjawn said:
> I may be Interested.  I'm starting my own small business consulting
> thing and I kind of want to get my hands dirty a little bit.  What sort
> of "projects don't you have time for that aren't top priority" do you
> have in mind?  I'm new on the list and I'm just getting back from the
> Peace Corps, but I'm a linux guy/open source guy by heart.  Ironically,
> I graduated from Drexel and while I'm not a co-op I would recommend them
> in the future.  Its a great program.

Well, this would be the first "internship" that I've ever run, so its
going to be tailored to the person's skill level and interests to a
degree.  Here are some things that I have been thinking about.

  Utilization:
*Improving our hardware use through virtualization (vmware, etc.)
  Security:
*I'd really like to revamp our os level security.  We have mostly focused
on perimeter security up until this point.
*Intrusion Detection
*System/Log Monitoring
  Networking:
*Building greater redundance into our network
  Software Tinkering:
*I know the dev team wanted to make some customizations to bugzilla, this
is much lower on my list than many other tasks.
*Getting more services to authenticate using our Win 2k Domain.
  New Services:
*Right now we are using cvs to maintain our code base, which I hate.  I'd
like to find a more (administratively) robust system that we could easily
migrate to.
*Also as a related topic, we are using an OLD version of PVCS to maintain
our documentation, which I am also trying to move away from.  It doesnt
have to be the same system as maintains the code base, certain features
are more important.

I could really go on for a while, but you get the idea.  We are a small
team, so there would be every day BS that would need to get taken care of.
 Dealing with user issues, general maintenance, etc.  There could even be
a bit of QA work, I know they could use the help right now at least.  We
are running Windows, Linux, Solaris, and AIX here, so if you saw something
you thought could improve our inrastructure I'd consider it.