Brian Stempin on 6 Oct 2007 01:15:02 -0000

Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:14:54 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=ILcbuhqooF8Yp/DeNHopGRrQhsrm69E3OeStH8l+YH8=; b=Mve/ADXdw/Z8i4QuJPj7Q9OK7GGXSEEi0BKREQ5QEUJdckIc1D7AOg1BzgTM7QcFJ6p4SGw0HpoxAF/EuU07uWTw5Rla6Oj1WTaR7ETqyV3lYguadHlpY96BzHXCQbRcfOi4rwA25OWYGPUVSJfNPWa8BqhPq46tKjsxArAIV/w=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

3. does speakeasy provide hardware? is there any proprietary necessary stuff? ( i.e. verizon fi-os "HIGHLY DISCOURAGES" you to use your own router. this is because the ones they provide have patched firmware that lets them jack into your router. my GUESS is to upgrade the firmware when it needs it, but who the hell KNOWS what they're really doing)

The reason that Verizon discourages 3rd party routers, as I found out the hard way, is because of the speed.  Many common routers only have a 10mb port for internet.  I should also note that this was according to the Verizon tech that installed my FIOS when I lived in Amber.  To my disbelief, I did in fact have issues when attempting to use my old Linksys router.  In the end, I gave away their router and used a dedicated Ubuntu box to do all of my NATing and firewalling.