Matthew Rosewarne on 17 Jan 2008 19:59:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, jeff wrote:
> Since the previous OS literally died, I didn't have time to do a proper
> migration.  I had backups plus the data on the drive.  I slaved the old
> drive so I'd have ready access,  The only plan I could come up with was
> my old joke of running XP in a VM, so I got busy preparing that
> environment.

I provide support for a family member who made a similar "unplanned
migration".  He has gotten great results from Crossover, since he absolutely
requires MS Office.  If an app doesn't run in Crossover, he runs it in a
Win2000 QEMU VM.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

> I used Evo as my main reader years back but dropped it because stuff
> kept breaking and the developers identified the problems as being
> outside Evo.  That's nice, but I need to read my email, which I can't do
> when a library breaks my client.

If you're using Kubuntu, you might want to see if Kontact can do a better job
with Exchange.  If the "Exchange 2000" resource doesn't meet your needs,
there are companies that make proprietary connectors which might do the job.

http://www.toltec.co.za/connector.html
http://www.konsec.com/en/products/konnektor.html

I don't know much about them, since I've never had to deal with the dreaded
Exchange.  Akonadi will hopefully allow you to more easily use Exchange, but
that won't be released for quite a few months.

> I'm going to fill in blanks and change the tone a bit when I continue
> this extended story-rant on my blog.  I figured I'd share a bit of it
> here due to its relevance.

Got a link to that?

%!PS: Good luck!