gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:07:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Java (was Re: Plugins and Mozilla)

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 03:37:54PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> 	On the other hand, Mac OS X & it's Sun-based Java 2
> implementation kicks some serious Java butt!!   It really has the
> potential to be the best Java client platform out there!

This is probably true, and I haven't played with OS X much as yet.

But I expect Apple will drop the marketing ball as usual.

> 	Java serves today as a great platform for server-based
> applications (ie. Servlets), because all of it's advantages can be
> put into play, while ignore the "run once, debug everywhere" problems
> that plagued it for client side use.

Um, sure, but why not write those servelets in a more efficient
language?

There is *no* way to compile Java applications to a strictly local
machine language. JIT compilers are getting better, but they're
really not there yet. So, even here, C or C++ makes more sense (and
they've worked just fine fro quite a while... remember CGI?).

(And this doesn't fix the idiocy in the class library, not that much
could. ;^>)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net