gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:50:30 +0100

Re: [PLUG] XFS w/kernel 2.4.17?

[Again, I ask you to please wrap your lines at a sane column. It
really is a drag for those of us on sane terminals. Attributing
quotes would be nice too.]

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:28:32AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> >Changing a bunch of text files that you can easily get back from
> > a central server is drastic?
> Sure can, if for some reason you kernel panic afterwards. Simpler
> to ask advice from an experienced person first, than have to
> (possibly) go thru some recovery process.

Huh? All I asked was whether you'd applied the patches. Changing
source code had really better not affect the running kernel.

How could any of this cause a kernel panic?

At any rate, patch should store the old version of all patched files
as foo.orig. Backing patches out is really easy.

> It *seems* a bit faster. Nothing drastic. Sure is noticeably
> after a hard freeze and reset, tho. :-)

Sure, but boot time is drastically different between journaled and
log-structured file systems and regular file systems for obvious
reasons. :^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net