gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:00:07 +0200

Re: [PLUG] MacBinary - again (was Re: reading old jpeg format?)

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 05:36:56PM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 1:36 PM -0400 8/22/02, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >Yeah, well, MacBinary is a propietary format,
> 	BULLSHIT!!!

Okay. Guess I was thinking of CompactPro then. It's been a while.

> 	As the person who chaired the MacBinary III committee, and
> maintains the standard (along with the other Mac OS-specific
> standards), I can, without a doubt, tell you how much crap that
> statement is...

Congratulations. ;^>

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 05:33:43PM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 12:12 PM -0400 8/22/02, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> ># Unfortunately MacBinary doesn't really have a magic number prior
> ># to the MacBinary III format.  The checksum is really the way to
> ># do it, but the magic file format isn't up to the challenge.
> 	Correct, which is why we solved that in MacBinary III...

Um, well, that doesn't stop people from using your old format (or
from still having files in it).

> 	The checksum, the version number and a few other things are
> the common way to determine MacBinary header presense.

But the version number is absent in MacBinary I, so that's not a lot
of help... And checksum-parsing is apparently beyond the scope of
magic(5) syntax (seems silly, but whatever).

> 	Trust me, this is NOT a MacBinary encoded file!!

As I already said, I was none too sure of that, just that the old
way to match as being such worked.

> 	BinHex actually incorporates MacBinary-like encoding as part
> of the process - so BinHexing a MacBinary file is silly...

Um, not really, being as MacBinary still has a separate resource
fork for me to break transfering across OSes that don't speak it
and BinHex doesn't, being a plain text file.

That was a lot of flaming and not much help, Walt. How would you
recommend Jeff open that file some place *other* than Mac OS?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net