Mike Leone on Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:19:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird APT error message

Stephen Gran (steve@lobefin.net) had this to say on 11/17/02 at 16:56:

> > How can I do that from the rescue CD shell? I'm not visualizing this
> > set of steps properly.
>
> You would have to boot the rescue CD, format your /usr/ partition, and
> then mount it somewhere.  Then copy in dpkg, apt-get and the necessary
> libs to get them going, which are:
> /usr/lib/libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2.so.3.2
> /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
> /lib/libm.so.6
> /lib/libc.so.6
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> (the last 3 you should still have, hopefully)
>
> Then you can mount the / partition, chroot in, and hopefully get dpkg
> and apt-get to restore your box with something like:
> ($file being the output of dpkg --get-selections)
> for $i in `cat $file | cut -f1` ; do apt-get install --reinstall $i` ; done
>
> This is, of course, assuming that you have a second box, running similar
> versions, as the one that crashed.  Or maybe even another box that you
> could use to download them, and then copy to a floppy or something and
> then move them over.

I do have another box, running sid, as it happens.

> I have sid running on one of my boxes, so if you need it, I can sendfile
> them, or put them online somewhere, if you want to give that a go.

I appreciate that. Think I can do that. Altho, at this point, I'm wondering
if I should just slash and burn - reformat everything and reinstall. Might
be easier and quicker and more sure. See my other message, about spontaneous
reboots (heat problems?).

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348