Mike Leone on Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:06:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird APT error message

gabriel rosenkoetter (gr@eclipsed.net) had this to say on 11/17/02 at 16:45:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 03:44:24PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > Haven't seen errors from any others. I'm thinking filesystem corruption,
> > because I had to do a "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" a number of times, until
> > it finally finished. It kept "aborting".
>
> It's definitely just the FS if /usr's on the same physical disk as
> other partitions and you're seeing the other partitions fine. (I

I have 5 partitions on that disk, and the only one that seemed to be having
problems was /usr.

> For reference, what's the hardware concerned? (Bus, brand, brand of
> the HBA, so forth...)

Asus A7V266-E mobo, Maxtor 60G UDMA-100 drive on the built-in Promise RAID
controller (which is configured to run as a regular IDE controller, not a
RAID). Athalon 1700+ CPU.

> Oh, and I prefer:
>
> ( cd /home/turgon && pax -r -w -v -pe . /mnt )
>
> these days. ;^>

I will write that down, thanks! :-)

> > I booted into 2.4.16, and the copy at least finished, altho with errors. I'm
> > going to try cleaning out my home directory first; then reformatting that
> > drive as ext2, and trying again.
>
> So, wait, this means that /home is blown too? Maybe you said it
> already and I missed it, but what's the partitioning on the flaky
> disk? Are *all* parititions actually showing errors?

I dunno if /home is having errors or not. I actually only tested /usr (this
disk has separate partitions for /boot, /, /usr, /var, /home). I do know
that there was an error at the end of the tar operation, but I didn't see
where, since it had scrolled off the screen, and I wasn't sitting there
watching it (there are like 10G worth of stuff).

Worse, part 2. It was just sitting there, logged in, but sitting at a
prompt. I wasn't even at the PC. And I heard it reboot. :-(

Now, I'm wondering if I have heat problems or not.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348