William H. Magill on 15 Feb 2009 09:19:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Internet Provider Wars, part New

On Feb 14, 2009, at 12:31 PM, zuzu wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Michael C Finn
> <mikefinn@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Hmmm ... I haven't followed any of the "new" DTV legislation/Rules
  (since about 2003),  but back then the basic issue was NOT that the
various stations were REQUIRED to have multiple channels, but rather
  the fact that virtually all of them were in fact NOT willing to
provide the
HD signal information (bandwidth) which they had petitioned the FCC
for in the first  place and were splitting the bandwidth up into
multiple
sub-channels completely contrary to the original intent of both
legislation
and FCC rule-making.

It was a classic case of "we are NOT required" to provide real HD signal
bandwidth so we can do anything we want with these new channels the
FCC has given us.
... 1080i vs 1080p and all of those "viewers can't see it" arguments.
This point of view was also championed  (rather insidiously) by the
various
Hollywood Film folks who still see Digital- HD-TV as a major reason why
their profits are down. (The idea that folks think their product is
overly
expensive never enters their minds. It's all because of the "Pirates"
and
all those folks who violate copyrights and make copies of "their
stuff.")

This whole DTV thing has been like OSI vs TCP/IP, however there is no
Open
Source community for the Broadcasting Industry to counter the
Government's
"visionaries" at the FCC.

(WHYY in Philadelphia was one of the leaders in proposing the concept
that it is NOT necessary to broadcast a full HD signal, but to sell
usage of those
sub-channels for other purposes.) [Note that this sub-channel business
has
existed in the FM-radio broadcasting business, virtually since the
beginning.
I was running medical sub-carrier broadcasts for WFIL-FM  back in the
60s when
Annenberg still owned all 3 WFIL stations - am/fm/tv.]

>> Where can I find a list of them?  The media guide software doesn't
>> mention
>> them just as they didn't mention 12-2 and 12-3; I added them
>> manually so
>> that they will be present when a signal is strong.

As far as I know, they are not mentioned in any of the guides because
they are still
considered "experimental" and the stations are NOT required to provide
anyone with
any information about their existence or content.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.4.11
# iMac6,1 Core 2 Duo [2.16GHz - 3 GB 667] OS X 10.5.5
# Mac mini Core Duo [1.66 Ghz - 2 GB 667]OS X 10.5.5
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/magill/
whmagill@gmail.com