Malcolm J Harwood on 18 Sep 2016 08:25:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Top-posting

On 9/18/2016 3:46 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
Instead of using folders, emails are assigned tags.  The inbox is just
a tag.  What look like folders are just queries for all emails that
have the tag.  So, these emails are all tagged with PLUG, and also
Inbox.  Some of my other mailing lists aren't tagged with the inbox,
because I don't read them as part of my general mail.  When I archive
a message it just removes the inbox tag, while retaining any other
tags it has.  Mail also gets tagged based on what email address it
comes in on.

FYI,
Thunderbird has tags.
Filters can set tags on inbound mail
Views and Search folders can be based on tags.

That doesn't address your mobile issues, and thunderbird tags seem to use a different mechanism than gmail tags, but it does seem like you can duplicate at least that part of the functionality with Thunderbird.

One downside is that thunderbird uses mbox (which is better than current kmail sticking everything in a database, but what's so hard about Maildir?), so if you have a lot of mail in the one folder with Views, then it's going to become a really large file.