Rich Freeman on 18 Sep 2016 09:27:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Top-posting

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 11:37 AM, brent timothy saner
<brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/2016 11:24 AM, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:
> (GIANT SNIP)
>> but what's so hard about Maildir?)
> (snip)
>
> I/O. it's easier to load one file into a cache than it is 100, 1000,
> 10000, etc. different files. this is mostly just going to be the case of
> import/export of a profile, i'd imagine, but i don't know Tb's internals
> enough to comment definitively on why- but the I/O is a guess. i'm a
> user of thunderbird and even i myself have to admit it's dying unless
> someone picks it up- it needs a pretty major rehaul.

I think any sane client is going to have to use a database when you go
to a tag-based workflow with views.  I suspect the IMAP/whatever
server is going to have to do the same.

I really don't want a solution where copies of all of my mail have to
be maintained on all of my clients to allow views/etc to work.  Also,
I'm not sure how well a thunderbird tag on one system will propagate
to another thunderbird client on a different system accessing the same
IMAP mailbox.  I'm also not sure how it would interact with any
web/android clients I use.  There just doesn't seem to be a standard
way of doing this.

I think the reality is that all my email is probably going to end up
in one "folder" from an IMAP perspective.  That could get really ugly
fast.

cd .maildir ; find . | wc -l
361520

du -sh .
7.5G

(And that is just somewhat recent stuff as I had some issue a while
back that required me to move everything to a folder/tarball.)

I really don't want an email client downloading 7.5G of files just to
figure out what tags they have.  This stuff really needs to be handled
at the protocol level and server-side.

--
Rich