Christopher Barry on 22 Sep 2016 12:16:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Top-posting

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 07:31:18 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Steve Litt
><slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>>
>> If somebody is keeping all email in one folder, I can understand
>> needing some kind of special search. But I also can't imagine why
>> anyone would keep everything in one folder.
>>

>Because I don't use folders, but prefer to use tags instead, and tag
>operations don't change what folder a message is in?
>
>Ultimately tags involve a different data model than what
>IMAP/maildir/mbox/etc is designed around, and that is the issue.  It
>moves from a 1:many relationship to a many:many relationship.  Tags
>don't "contain" emails, they're just associated with them.  You really
>want a database of some kind to handle them, and a protocol for
>syncing designed around this.  The fact that emails are already
>assigned unique message IDs does help though.

so, tags v. folders:

If you get some email, and then say "hmm, I'll give this tag 'A'", don't
you then kind of have to remember how you tagged it? Isn't that kinda
like having to remember what folder you put it in? When I look for info
in claws, I just do a query on whatever words come to mind as being
related to the email or idea. Honestly, I really don't need to search
all that much through old email, but that's just my own workflow I
guess.

--
Regards,
Christopher