Rich Freeman on 22 Sep 2016 14:06:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Top-posting

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Second: Couldn't one use both folders *and* tags? The reason I ask is
> that with normal Linux filesystems, when you start getting upwards of
> 40K files in a single directory, all file operations including read
> slow down. One of the reasons I use folders is to try to keep every
> folder under 20K emails. That's why my busier LUG mailing list folders
> have yearly archives.

This really seems like changing how you use software purely for the
sake of a legacy file format.  If you don't limit your mail storage to
mbox or maildir then it really doesn't matter how many emails you look
at at a single time.

Ultimately both folders and tags are insufficient.  What you really
want is full text indexing, in addition to indexing of folders and
tags.  This really necessitates a server component that can look
through your vast store of well-indexed emails and provide them as
needed to clients when they connect.

The problem is that the FOSS world is stuck on IMAP and maildir and
such and all the fancier stuff gets pushed out to the client side.
This makes it harder to keep the advanced features in sync across
clients, and it usually requires having clients do their own indexing
which means transferring all that data over IMAP/etc.

I get it, IMAP is "good enough." I just think that right now it is
holding things back.  We really need a protocol that is tag-aware,
full-text-search capable, thread-aware, and which supports things like
address books.  A decent calendar sharing protocol probably wouldn't
hurt either.  :)

--
Rich